We had a winter-type storm roll through yesterday. Winds strong enough to blow the squirrels out of the trees and a dumping of rain. The weather is now cold and blustery. I wish Ma Nature would get things sorted once and for all and get around to a decent spring.
On the other hand, we have squeezed in a bit of riding and it was good to be out.
Wednesday I had lunch with an old friend and we yakked and yakked and yakked. Sometimes, all you need to be happy is a good long yak with an old friend. And lunch was very good as an added bonus.
Ray's new glasses were in up at the exchange optical shop and he wanted to go get them in spite of the weather. We had to drive up highway 99, definitely the slow way, because of a wreck on I-5 that by 3:30 pm had the freeway backed up for 15 miles. And that's before rush hour really gets ramped up. It took us an hour and a half to get up there, mostly because of all the people who decided to take the same road north that we did to avoid I-5. It wasn't really bad until Everett. I think it took a half hour just to get through Everett. We got there in time tho, and he's got his new glasses. The computer ones are fine, but the regular glasses are not right. He has to go back for a new prescription and get the lenses changed. Poor guy.
We had dinner at Tres Hermanos in Marysville on the way back and that is one of our favorite places. I brought home leftovers for my lunch today. yummmmmm!
It is shedding season, which means everything in the house is coated with fur no matter how many times a day I brush the dog. I am sure we could make two dogs out of the fur that comes off Norman spring and fall. It's astonishing! The birds like it for lining their nests, so we just let it fly around the back yard. He does look thinner when all that fur finally comes out and gets brushed away.
I saw a Goldfinch in the back yard the other day, first one of the season. So beautiful and such a fast flyer, it was gone too soon. Saw a mouse or small rat in the suet feeder late one afternoon. Ugh! Ray chased it away and I've not seen it since. We've got all these loose cats that wander around the neighborhood, you'd think they'd keep the vermin population under control instead of just pooping in all the neighbor's gardens. But since when have cats been interested in benefiting the surrounding humans? Since never, that's when!
This weekend, we hope to buy the rest of the plants for the garden and get them in the ground. Tomatoes are doing well, as are the few garlic bulbs I planted and Ray's radishes. I bought 4 strawberry plants too. We want to have them all in the ground before Memorial Day as that's our annual Deck Party. This year we are also celebrating Lauren's and Ray's birthdays.
Himself is off to Baltimore next week for work. Some big meeting about the project he's been working on, which has grown like Topsy. Or weeds.
The yard men came and mowed and trimmed and edged this afternoon. A freshly mown lawn is so beautiful. And this time of year, the lawns are all green and lush from warmer temps and much rain. It is all going to look so nice on Memorial Day. I do need to get out there and do some weeding though.
On the sadder side, the big back up on I-5 yesterday was because a motorcyclist was killed. I don't know yet if he did something stupid or some car driver did. But somebody did.
Betty and Ron were here last weekend. They came up on an anniversary trip to Victoria, stayed over at TJs for a few days, a few days up north, a day with us and they are on their way back home to sunny, warm Arizona. It was so good to see them again! I wish they could have stayed longer.
And that is all the news from our house.
9 comments:
Gosh, how delicious, an actual blog posting! I'll leave it at that so as to not anger the Blog Queen from whence the blog flows.
Odd Spring? Yup, us too. Today it looks like Seattle. Low hanging clouds shroud the building of more than 4 stories and a soppy drizzle coats everything. It's depressing. But, Summer arrives Sunday with sun and temperatures predicted to reach 92. Ugh!
Sorry Ray has to deal with all the eye problems, I know how frustrating it can be to get your glasses right.
Norm blowing his coat eh? Ha! have fun.
Cats. Cats are evil.
We will be planting this weekend as well. The foliage Overlord has been cooped up so long with her broken foot that she has been driven to near madness. The Planting Whip has already come out and notice has already been given that this weekend there will be flowers or I'll by golly feel the sting of the Planting Whip! (PW) :-)
Speaking of old friends... my best old friend turns 65 on Monday. This is the first birthday that she is not interested in celebrating. She would rather this one just pass quietly by. I'm not sure I can let that happen, but I've know the Planting Whip (PW) to be used for other causes and I am cautious.
We go next Thursday to see the foot doc about getting the cast off and what the next steps will be. Statistics say there is a 66% chance she will need another 6 weeks in a cast or surgery and another 6 weeks in a cast. in any case it looks like Terri's Summer is shot even before it begins and threat of the PW will be lingering nearby.
Oh, give me the cool cloudy days any day and even the rainy ones over any day that's 92!
We're just going to have to knit new dogs.....
Cats are evil, they use my lovely garden like a sandbox. Ugh! Nasty!
It's about time you got something planted, long past last frost. Good thing the Overlord has her whip. But I do hope you were able to appease her with an abundance of floral plants.
I can relate to missing a summer, for sure. Been there done that, as you well know. It's pretty miserable. I'll vote for another 12 weeks in a cast. that's way better than surgery.
I made a valiant attempt to please the Overlord. Many hours of backbreaking labor and many dollars were spent on on the attempt. I built a ramp from the house to the deck so that the Overlord could come out to survey the assembly. But nay, I was to be denied. I was relegated to tilling the soil and the Overlord herself did plant the flowers. All but a large pot on the side of the garage which the Overlord could not reach and hasn't seen. But I had my fun as I planted the flowers in a smiley face. Ha, take that!
A half dozen smaller pots remain to be filled and there are from two to four hooks requiring hanging baskets, depending on whether or not we continue to feed the birds.
It was beastly hot, beastly! Many neighbors came over to ask what in the heck happened to Terri and why was she in a wheelchair. Much loathing was heaped upon me for not having told the entire neighborhood that Terri was in such a state. But alas it was the first time the neighbors out our back door upon the culdesac had seen her, so I accepted the blame.
It was the most time Terri had spent outside and in the sun for nearly 6 weeks. When we were done we she cleaned up and went to bed for a nap. Me? I had laundry to do and went downstairs. Don't say anything, but I think last night I shrank two of Terri's favorite casual tops. Oh, there will be hell to pay for that! I expect to hear lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth and much, much groveling to the Overlord, and it will be coming from me! Oh bother.
Oh, bother indeed! The Overlord will break you man, break you. Much pity to accompany the much scorn which was rightfully heaped upon you. You should have taken out an ad in the neighborhood newspaper.
It was good you tilled the soil, though and let her plant if that's what she wanted to do. But I love the smiley face planting pattern.
Today I need to go hunt up some pansies for the last two deck planters. Home Spend-A-Lot didn't have but miniature ones.
And I need to go by a 7-11 and buy something with a Farmville Logo on it. so I can redeem the code and plant Goji Berries. Yes, I am horribly addicted.
And I need to go to a Seattle Liberry and return a book Ray took out and didn't return to the downtown liberry. Got to take it today, before there is a fine.
It's barely 50 degrees out there, so no bike ride today for this old lady. Besides, the gardening Saturday has still got my thigh backs in a clinch.
I thought Saturday here was warm, but it was a good many degrees below yours. The gardeners laughed at me when I said I was going to weed in the shade, as it was cooler. But oh, my were we glad those guys happened to be here to work on the yard across the street and had time to help with the plants. I LOVE having Gardeners!!!
You have Gardeners and I have an Overlord. Something just isn't right with this picture.
Simple. You must provide Gardeners for the Overlord. Let her Overlord it over the Gardeners instead of you.
A simply elegant answer..... If only I had the money.
Ah, if only. I wonder how many things are not done because of those 3 words.
See, these postings are why I DONT post...you are both way too eloquent and say everthing so very nicely....i can't compete! But, I do read. :)
Post a Comment