Today we made good time and arrived at our site in Bakersfield just after dark. In 20 minutes we were hooked up, unfurled the wings and were heating left over chili for dinner. We're getting better.
Our gas mileage today was 8.3 mpg. Terrible for a car but not bad for a house. Ray says he's happy with that. I wish it was more like 9 mpg, but at 60 mph I guess that's what you get. Traffic wasn't bad until Stockton. Road was bad by Sacramento. The road got worse the further south we went, and even tho the road surface is new, they not only left the old bumps and ruts in it, they added new bumps and ruts. Horrible! Highway 58 wasn't a whole bunch better, but we knew it would be over for the day soon.
We passed thru the Angry Farmer Zone today. Lots of Angry Farmer signs blaming lack of irrigation water on Boxer, Pelosi and some person whose last name starts with a C. I do know their water rations have been cut and sent to LA and other parched cities. The farmer who are doing well have put in vast miles of drip irrigation. Much more efficient use of water if properly regulated, I suppose. Although we did see many fields that were totally flooded, so water can't be too short. But my sympathies are with the Farmers, Angry or not.
One discovery we made today was that all Pilot Truck Stops are not created equal. The one we gassed up at was very difficult, being squeezed into as little room as possible. As it was located out in the midst of Nowhere, I can't imagine why it wasn't made a little more motor home friendly. But we got out of there without running over either flowers or other cars.
Norman spent much time near us today. He seems to prefer napping between us. And once in a while he'll come for a bit of a snuggle. And he watches whenever he thinks something might be worth watching. He loves Rest Areas! So many things to watch, and smell. He also was quite interested in the aroma of the feed lots we passed today. Ugh! We were grateful to him for snuffling up as much of the stench as he could. Ray said Norman would probably be glad too roll in it. I think he's right.
Our park tonight is right next to a freeway, but we are so tired that I don't think we'll hear it much. We didn't hear the road traffic last night. Besides, the furnace has an enthusiastic fan that will surely contribute some white noise.
At lunch time today the Rest Area parking area was full of big rigs. No place for us to park, and so we drove on.. At the next exit we spotted a large dirt area behind a gas station where big rigs could park. As it was mostly empty, we availed ourselves of a spot with a nice view of sagebrush and tumbleweed, fired up the generator and nuked some left over tuna casserole. It was a fine level spot and we enjoyed our little lunch break. It was quieter than the Rest Area too, and lots less fumey.
No trouble with the levelers today. I am glad. No trouble with anything today but sun glare making it hard to see the dashboard. So far, we are mostly happy with the motor home, altho Ray has his doubts about the Firm mattress.
Remember those flooded fields I mentioned? In many of those fields were large flocks of waterbirds. I recognized the Mallards and other ducks, but there were thousands upon thousands of medium sized white birds with black tipped wings. O, they were so elegant in flight, and so beautiful. Alas, my bird books are at home or I would tell you what kind of birds they were.
Motor homing is THE way to travel when it's too cold for motorcycles or for time's sake you have to take I-5. I would not much like riding on I-5 thru the Central Valley. And besides, it's still Too Cold.
So, that's it for tonight. Good night and sleep tight!
9 comments:
Oh yes, forgot to say, our miles traveled today was around 400.
Wowsers! Tooie says she wants to know more about what happened in those 400 miles.
I'm enjoying whatever you share. I'd very much like to be doing it with you.
Good old Norm, saving your noses with his!
Sounds like you are getting the hang of that motor home thing! Good for you. Wish I was with you; sounds heavenly to me. Someday, perhaps....
I ditto what the other sibs said! Wish I was with you, sounds like a fun and fabulous trip! Glad you are enjoying it despite the cold weather. I use the term 'cold weather' in this case lightly since I'm pretty sure your 'cold weather' is alot warmer than our MN cold weather :)
Hey why am I anoymous?? How do I leave my name? (I don't have a Google account or OPen ID)
ah ha, I guess i Just have to click on name/url?
Interesting, this blog site of yours....
Pickle Puss. How perfect for you.
Hey! This started out to be a nice blog of your trip, but it's faltered. It's past time for another entry!
Post a Comment