The kitchen was immediately taken over by The Young Kitchen Men and I love anytime that happens! The Kitchen Men produced oh, so good, melt in your mouth, beefy flavor explosion steaks on the grill, (and I hope the KM with gout does not pay the price for that) quad-color potatoes roasted with button mushrooms, sliced red onions and topped with a thick layer of chopped Bacon! Yes, that is Kitchen Man Pork King's own recipe. Yum, yum, yum. We also had corn on the cob, roasted in their shucks on the grill (heaven must have grilled corn), nectarine, blueberry and strawberry salad and a greens salad, which recipe is courtesy of one of The Kitchen Men's friends. It had tomatoes, artichoke hearts, sliced red onions, olives, baby corns, romaine, avocado and dressing. It was very pretty and very tasty too. DDIL says it's one of her favorite things. For dessert, we had a selection of small gourmet sweet things that KM Pork King brought and Ray and I supplied mini cupcakes with the help of Albert & Son. It was all so tasty!
After we stuffed ourselves silly, (I think I ate more steak than I ever have in my entire life, it was so good) they opened presents and cards, then we played Dominion a game that Jason and Lauren own. It's a complicated game with a quadrillion variations and he has it stored in a special box that looks like an antiquated book with scads of different types of cards. It can be played by 2-many depending on what variation you are playing and how many expansions you have. It was also fun and confusing and we all had a good time. Jason beat us all, and easily. By the time we were done with that, it was after 11 and so everyone having to go to work this am, which the exception of you-know-who, they departed for home and we retreated to bed. O that bed felt good. I am so sorry Ray had to get up out of it this morning so early.
The cherry tomatoes seems to be thriving in their pots on the deck, so far so good. We do not hold out much hope for actual tomatoes, as they are incredibly hard to grow here. Oh, the plants grow fine, but the tomatoes don't. It's too chilly at night and the fruit won't set and it rains and is sunless so much of the time. And then it gets hot and dry and the tomatoes come, but too late to ripen.
But the lettuces are growing like gangbusters, the peas are pea-ing and the onions are getting bigger. The parsley is nearly in bloom, the chives are blooming and beloved by bumblebees. One of the three calla lillies we planted this spring is coming up, I think the dratted squirrels ate the other two as there is no sign of them at all. Cauliflowers are lagging, but then it's hardly warm enough for cauliflowers. Soon. I hope.
The one fuchia that survived the winter has greenery, but does not seem to be growing. There are certainly no flowers on that plant. I think I will not try to winter over the fuchia any more.
A nice thing happened. We were at Albertson's on Saturday, buying the things we need for the week, like bread and milk and bananas. I also chose several cards for yesterday's Occasion. We both saw the checker put those cards in a little bag and I thought I saw her put them in a bigger bag with other things we bought. We both unpacked the bags and so Sunday morning I said to Ray, "what did you do with the cards?" Ray: "What cards?" Me: "The ones we bought yesterday." Ray: "Nothing, I thought you put them somewhere." Me: OOps. So we went back to Albertson's after church, waited our turn in line with the lotto buyers and enquired about lost and found. Low and behold, there was our little bag full of cards! They didn't even ask to see the reciept, just handed them over. So nice! I thought for sure, they'd have gone back on the shelf as abandoned. But they didn't! Thank you, Albertsons!
Someone needs to get over here and weed the gardens! Quick!
6 comments:
Holy Cow! More words?! I'll have to read them. I need to catch up!
I used some big words too!
What a great party! I'd have loved to be there and join in!
Told you Jason would win. Ha!
What a feast. Kitchen Men indeed.
Good Old Albertson's.
I love it when someone else cooks, and it sounds like you had a feast indeed. We discovered an unlikely outlet for SUPERIOR steaks.....Costco! Never would have thought of buying steaks at Costco, but we had them at a friends house a couple of weeks ago and they were every bit as good as what you get in a top end restaurant. They are Choice and were super thick and tasty.
I would like to also know more about growing cherry tomatoes in a pot....mine didn't so so well in the hanging upside down planter and I sure love cherry tomatoes so it would be nice to try them in the pot!
Jason indeed won the game. He Dominated us, the ungrateful wretch!
But they made an even bigger hit with the meal. A person could get gout from those massive steaks. Normally, one that size would make 3 or 4 steaks for the likes of me. Gotta love The Kitchen Men!
I had heard Costco has good steaks and there is one just down the south hill from our house. North hill too, I suppose. We have not been in there to shop for years, but always buy gas there. 10 cents a gallon makes a difference when you are buying 80 gallons. The Kitchen Men got that hunk o' steak love at Cash & Carry. Now that I have a handy dandy Vacuum Packer, I will be needing larger quantities of meat to Vacuum Pack, no?
I will make a post about the tomatoes in a pot.
Sounds to me like you are the ungrateful wretch.
Well done Jason!
You cannot get gout from one steak. You very well might if you have a steak every day.
Post a Comment