Wednesday, September 17, 2008

When did THAT happen???

Last night Ray and I watched a biography of Pete Seeger called "The Power of Music". It was a fun and educational thing to watch. Didn't know Pete had been called on the carpet by McCarthy and the House UnAmerican Activities Commmittee and accused of being a communist!! Didn't know he'd been banned from tv for 18 years.

It was fun to hear again the music we listened to in our teens and 20s, performers like Pete himself, Peter, Paul & Mary, Bob Dylan, Arlo Guthrie, and others, most of them people who were not much older than we were. 'Cepting Pete, who is of our parents' generation. It was fun as long as we got to see the old videos of their performances.

But when they were interviewed and on camera in their more or less present state, oh my. Ray turned to me and said, "Everybody got old!" It really hit me hard when I saw Mary Travers. Beautiful, slender, slender blonde Mary with that sweet voice. Mary may still have a sweet voice, but she looks a whole lot more like me than she ever did before. Mary is an overweight woman just like me!

Wham! Hey! Wait a minute! If they are all old then I'm old too! When did that happen? It actually made me teary to see all these people from our youth--OLD. When DID that happen? When did we all get old? I see the Grim Reaper creepin' up on me. Brrrrr! Maybe if I ride my scoot fast enough, I can get away from him.....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"When DID that happen? When did we all get old? I see the Grim Reaper creepin' up on me. Brrrrr! Maybe if I ride my scoot fast enough, I can get away from him....."

You better buy a faster scooter and then try.

Ray and Susan said...

I'd better!

So when DID that happen that we all got old? How did it sneak up on us?

Unknown said...

Every time I watch one of those TV specials reviving music I remember from my youth, the musicians look so very old. Then I look in the mirror.

Ray and Susan said...

I know, I know! It just is such a wrench to find out those guys are so OLD. It's really a shock to look in that mirror isn't it?