Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Hey, Lady, Wanna Ride?

Last evening Geneva hopped into my sidecar and we went to supper at Taco Bell. Then, we decided to get in some ride time by visiting some of the ladies we know.

It was great fun seeing their faces when they saw us sitting in their driveways in our helmets and gear. Suprisingly, everyone declined the generous offer of a ride in the sidecar. Some of them declined rather vehemently. Huh.

We think we might do it again next Monday!

As you know, last week we spent in a cabin in the woods along Puget Sound. Yes, there are still a very few wooded areas along the Sound, and they are beautiful.

Here's the living room of our cabin. Ignore the large rump in the bedroom, ok?



And here's the teensy little kitchen



So far, pretty spartan, right? But, this was the view a few feet from the cabin and the views made up for alot of spartan.



There is a tidal "island" there. Here's Normie enjoying some leash-free time on the island!



Several times we saw the resident bald eagle pair. The male is sitting on the top of this tree.



We went to Anacortes one day and there was a fog bank out in the Sound, into which several boats and a tug disappeared. Washington's version of the Bermuda Triangle, I guess.



Betty and Ron came to visit and we took a walk in Washington Park in Anacortes.



The fog was trying to get up the headland.



Then we went to visit Deception Pass and walked out on the bridge. Still the fog is trying to get inland.



But it didn't get far. See?



We took time to capture a view of the bridge that most tourists don't get.



We watched a heron fishing one afternoon. He is a very patient fisherman.



Here's the view straight off the back deck of the cabin.



The view to the east:



The view to the west was not bad either:



Blue skies all day but one.



Phones mostly didn't work, internet a goodly hike away, a tv sized to match the cabin and no street lights. We could not get much further from the hustle and bustle and noise of our everyday lives. We read books, napped and took alot of walks. Norman's paws were dragging by the time we left. He didn't even want to go for one last walk. He wanted to get in that car and ride for a change. I'd go back tomorrow, if I could.

I'm chicken sitting the next two weeks. I can already tell you chickens don't herd well. And they eat ALOT. And they don't listen when you tell them it's bed time and they better get tucked up in the coop. Chickens are not very well organized (not like sheep) and don't take to direction (like cats) or suggestion (like teenagers) or even threats of being turned into drumsticks. (I've never threatened to turn someone else into drumsticks, so I have no comparison to offer you) I'm still waiting for one of the 20 hens to lay an egg.

7 comments:

the VA Hills said...

Geneva? As in my mom? And you didn't get a picture? Don't forget next time, okay?

Cabin by the Sound looks wonderful, too! Sounds like the same area we honeymooned in. Sigh...

-Keri

Ray and Susan said...

Yes, Geneva as in your Mom. Don't worry, your Dad has pics. I'm surprised he hasn't sent them yet. I think she had a good time. Your Dad won't even get in.

The cabin was in a wonderful area. It was SO good to be really away for a little while. A total battery recharge for people.

Winona said...

Beautiful pix - love Mr. Burgman - and GO, Normie!! Susan, you are such a good writer, a person just gets caught up reading!! Thanks so much for sharing.

A new name... hmmm....

Brother Bear said...

Where to start...OK, Chicken Sitting? What a good job for you and Norm. :-)

The cabin looks very livable and and enjoyable. Glad you went and enjoyed your stay.

How fun it would have been to see you and Geneva frightening the wigs off the Local Ladies. What a hoot!

Ray and Susan said...

What Norm would like is chicken chasing and chicken catching. We took him over Monday evening and decided it was torturing him, because he wanted to play predator so badly. We won't take him again, out of kindness to dogs. (and chickens, because the sight of Norman caused quite a (literal) flap.

Chickens need alot of watching, as they are exceedingly stupid creatures. I can see from chicken sitting that they were truly put here on this earth to be food for someone!

Hard to tell in the pics, but the cabin was an authentic log cabin with a metal roof. Sounds lovely when it rains on a metal roof. Very soothing. It was all cedar and I bet it smelled so good when it was new.

Ray and Brion got some smiles watching the goings on whilst we were threatening the ladies with apparently dangerous and horrifying rides in the sidecar. And Geneva and I got a chance to laugh a alot.

A new name is still up for grabs. We've not settled on anything yet.

Mr. Burgman is indeed beautiful and Norman is The Dawg. Thanks for the compliments, Winona!

Anonymous said...

I am with Keri.. Slightly dumbfounded that our mother got in the sidecar. I would love to see it live! (bug my father to get those pics sent out!)

~leanne

Ray and Susan said...

She's riding again tomorrow, to the Ward Picnic. She's got a streak of Diva in her alright. (Grin)

I shall bug the Daddy-O.