Saturday, August 8, 2009

Going the Long Way Round

Today we took the back/residential roads north to Everett and then rode thru Marysville to the Commissary Store.

The speeds, for the most part, were in the 30-35 mph range, but the roads had loads of curves. Ray said it would have been more fun if the speed limit was higher, but it was challenging enough for this sidecar driver.

It wasn't until we got into South Everett (which, by the way, is really pretty on the roads closest to the Sound) that I actually enjoyed a sequence of curves. I think I began to relax into the ride a bit. And I remembered my training at last, outside, inside, outside. I was so focused on muscleing/steering around the curves that I forgot to use what I learned. Perhaps it was because this is a new ride and because it's been so long since we rode anything other than a straight line with a couple of 90 degree turns.

The back roads along the Sound are definitely the long way round, but it's much more enjoyable than the freeway or Highway 99. And lots of practice curves for me, which is also a good thing. But it did take us for ever to get up to the store.

We bought groceries at the commissary and some few things at the exchange and loaded up the sidecar. We had room for more, but didn't need more. Too funny when people realize you're loading that heap of grocery bags in a sidecar!

We came home on the freeway and that was fast easy riding except it was SO COLD. I could have worn my spring jacket instead of my mesh. The sun didn't come out the entire trip. It didn't even threaten to come out.

So handy to back the scoot into the garage and have the groceries so close to the house. Lazy woman's shopping. No, wait, that's Amazon Fresh, which I love and highly recommend to anyone who lives in the delivery area. Beautiful fruits and veggies, they put the stuff from the commissary (or Safeway or Albertson) store to shame. Imagine waking up to all the groceries you need on your doorstep! It's heavenly but it isn't exactly cheap.

Yesterday we took Norman out to dinner in the sidecar. He really seems to enjoy it, the breeze and watching all the passing scenery. He never tried to jump out, or even threatened to until we got safely home. We went to Red Line Burgers and sat at the picnic tables out front. Norman climbed up on the bench and sat there like a little hairy gentleman. They brought him a burger patty on a little paper plate and a paper cup of water. I broke up his burger into reasonable sized pieces so he didn't gulp it all down at one big bite. He ate a few pieces of burger, took a drink from the cup on the table, watched the traffic passing by, had a bite of onion ring, ate more burger, had a drink. Repeat patiently. He was so funny and seemed to think he was King of the World. When it was time to leave, he hopped right in the sidecar and off we went for a little ride.

People don't seem to notice the scoot and sidecar much, but put Norman in the sidecar and you get loads of attention.

4 comments:

Brother Bear said...

Good for you. Even better for Norm!

Ray and Susan said...

Oh! Someone finally read the blog! Whoopie! A reader!

Brother Bear said...

Hey! I've been out of town. But frankly what do you expect when you don't update your blog for weeks at a time. Folks get frustrated and move on.

Ray and Susan said...

Not weeks, days.