Ray, Justin, Norman and I set out to try Chuckanut Drive on Saturday. Chuckanut drive is a set of curves plastered on a road plastered on a cliffside. It's just too short. Only 11 miles long, it takes way too long to get there.
Norman was excited to be offered a chance to take a sidecar ride. Perhaps he remembered the hamburger from the last ride. We took I-5 north to Marysville and discovered Norman really does not like high speed motorcycling. He might like it a bit better if he'd consent to wear his Doggles, but he won't. He likes under about 45 just fine. Above that and he sits hunched behind the windscreen, studying his feet and looking miserable. Ever see the poster of the wet cat? He looks like that cat seems to feel.
Although we took a coastal road quite a ways, we couldn't see the Sound and there were not many curves. We got stuck in traffic once when the road was undergoing repairs, but not for long.
After an hour and a half, we reached the famed Chuckanut Drive. I don't know why they call it that, but my guess is the real reason involves squirrels. It is very curvy, but it is also slow and as I said, short. You just settle into the curves and it's all over. Sigh.
For some bizarre reason, out in the middle of nowhere farm country, the state saw fit to plunk a traffic circle. Aargh, I hate those things!
We stopped in Bellingham for gas and lunch. We opted for a McDonald's because they had outside tables and Normie likes McDonald's fries. Then we hit the freeway again because we needed to be home to clean up to go to Brett & Alayne's for dinner. (which was yummy and the games were fun!)
I'm open to any suggestions on how to improve Norman's attitude toward fast rides. I just know he looks like a most miserable dog who's riding sidecar against his will when we're going fast.
We forgot to take any pictures, sorry! But Normie and I were in several other people's pictures. Cell phones are everywhere and most of them take pics these days. People think it's fine to pace along side me in their huge SUVs until they get a good picture of us. I find it unnerving.
4 comments:
Sounds like an interesting ride. For a girl who feigns to be a shrinking violet you sure have selected an attention getting rig. I think the REAL Susan has emerged.
Use the doggles, Norm will get used to them.
What do yu mean "feigns to be a shrinking violet"?
We're afraid he'll take the doggles off and dump them on the side of the road. He'd do that, you know.
Tomatoes are ripening! Yum!
Yes, "feigns to be a shrinking violet", as it's evident in your choice of riding rig that you are not a shrinking violet. In fact your rig screams "Look At Me!" You are now in the company of the legend Bill Kurtis who is now being featured in a TV ad riding in a sidecar rig. Actually, Bill would equal Norm and that would make you equal to the pilot. Wahoo Ha!
My rig is a nice conservative black. NOBODY bothers with looking at my rig unless Norman is in it. Unless it's old guys who remember sidecars from WW2 and Korea. They look and give me thumbs up.
I've seen that ad and it caught MY attention the minute he said sidecar. Before that, I'd deserted the tv commercials for my computer.
Post a Comment