I'm feeling so distressed by what's happened to Haiti and so sad for the families there. They will never be the same. The pictures coming out of there are nearly incomprehensible in the extent of building damage and human suffering. It's so hard to look at those pictures and hear the news reports.
And as always, people ready to take advantage of the situation, men with machetes roaming the streets and looting. I pray that some sort of order is restored soon.
And some people here talking about how we shouldn't be the first responders, that we should not give aid and succor. To those people, I say, shame on you, you've lost touch with what it means to be human and have lost understanding of what it means to be American.
Please pray for the families of Haiti and give if you can.
4 comments:
America is the first responder. We are giving more as a government and as a people than any other country on earth. Hugo Chavez has sent one plane, one. And he has the audacity to proclaim that America is occupying the country. Well, damn right we are, and if we hadn't, the country, which is without a functioning government or police force, would have fallen into chaos.
But I know our efforts, in the long run, will be disdained. We are hated in the world yet we are benevolent to the very people who spit upon us. Why then should we bother to help? The naysayers have already begun to attack us saying we are not doing enough or we are doing too much. Our mission is futile.
In my opinion the best thing we can do is stop paying attention to our home grown crackpots, like Danny Glover, who spews venom about the very country that gave him all the opportunities that he has had. I am very tired of celebrity commentary, WTF do they know and why would anybody care what they say?
Why is it America's responsibility to bolster a corrupt government? Why is America responsible for the lack of proper building codes? Why is America responsible for the leaders of the country not preparing for such a disaster? This is a sovereign nation, not a US Territory. But who is the first country the world looks to for help when such things happen? All of us Ugly Americans. I, for one, am sick of it!
Bottom line, our efforts and money are probably wasted. We are in a lose/lose situation. We are compelled to help, because of who we are, and will be condemned on the world stage, also for who we are. My heart says that we should help. My mind says we should not bother. I am therefore conflicted.
Well, last I checked, most Hatians want to come here to live, and desperately so.
No one care what Danny Glover has to say, even if you can understand him when he speaks. He knows not much about not much, just like most celebs.
America is not responsible for Haiti's corrupt government or lax building codes or bribeable officials.
Americans are concerned for their brothers and sisters in the world. Haiti is the smallest poorest nation in the western hemisphere and America is still the largest and wealthiest with the most resources.
The Bible tells us we are indeed our brother's keepers and that we are responsible for caring for the injured and widows and orphans.
We do it because not only are we able, but we are honor bound to help those victims of natural disaster. It is the right thing to do. If they also happen to be victims of bad government, o well. We do it anyway because we are America.
I have contributed to the Red Cross relief effort for Haiti, but I still stand on what I said. We will still be condemned on the world stage. Ugy American's that we are.
We are not condemned on all the world's stages.
And even so, remember the lesson of the Good Samaritan.
Post a Comment