Monday, January 4, 2010

Whew! Holidays Are Over!

Well, today it's back to work as usual. Ray's off at SSA and I'm here doing stuff that I didn't do over the holidays. Tomorrow I go back to work at the Library, as its Holiday Closure is over. I was not up early enough to hear the morning traffic reports, but I bet that too was back to business as usual.

It was almost warm enough to ride Sunday. Almost.

For fun, we went to see Avatar. I can't say enough good things about this movie. Yes, it's a familiar plot, but the way it's presented is different. You can't even see all of it in one sitting, it's so gorgeous and so packed with things to look at. It's totally awesome and amazing, or whatever kids says these days to indicate extreme coolness and awesomeness and amazingness.

A belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all. Between illness, holiday doings and writer's block it's been a long time between posts.

Ray and I are busy planning this summer's trip east. We're only getting as far as Northern Illinois, but we'll be getting there. And to all my relatives and in-laws who are now thinking "I'll believe that when I see it", prepare your eyeballs, because we ARE getting there. On our bikes. This year. And home again. On our bikes. I'll let you know how the route develops and where we'll be staying.

One thing we've gotten is UTags for both of us. These are USB drives embedded in a dog tag that holds all of one's medical information and contact info, insurance info, procedures you do not ever want done, etc. Everything a doctor who does not know you would need to safely treat you. They come with stickers to put on your helmet, jacket, bike to let the first responders know you've got a UTag. They are very popular and widely used in Europe, but just beginning to be used here. That's why the stickers will come in handy.

Another thing we're thinking of getting is a Spot device. This device can be set to give a near real-time map of where we are at any given point, so you could track us on a Google map. It also sends check-in messages and sends for help. Is there enough demand for our location for us to buy the tracking service?

10 comments:

Brother Bear said...

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'll believe it when I see you two at my front door. Your room will be waiting. :-)

Ray and Susan said...

You really don't mind having a large hairy dog with toenails come visit?

Brother Bear said...

Oh, did I fail to mention that the motel is just down the street? Sorry, minor detail. We can PM about this.

Ray and Susan said...

Ah ha! I thought so.

But what about the Spot? Do you want to be able to see our progress via Google Map?

Brother Bear said...

Oh my yes, the SPOT is a great idea.

Ray and Susan said...

That's one vote for a spot.

Brother Bear said...

Seems I'm the only one voting. I win! :-)

Ray and Susan said...

Yep you seem to be my only reader.

1600 Kaw said...

I read it too. why use SPOT we might take off for the south if we see you to close.

Ray and Susan said...

Some brothers-in-law! Sheesh!

Then we won't give you the page address and just sneak up on you. heh, heh, heh

Did you get my e-mail, Kaw?