Thursday, February 25, 2010

Been A Long Time

It's been slow all over the blogosphere lately, and I am definitely in the lazy blogger area.

Today, Mr. Antonio Juarez and his crew are here working in the yard again. Today they put down good dirt in all the flower beds, both old and new, and moved the big cypress tree from the front door to the northwest corner of the back yard. Hopefully that tree will grow some and give us some more privacy on the back deck. And there it won't work it's roots into the footings and basement. Someone is removing the leftover roots and such by the front porch. Antonio and I will go to Sky Nursery soon and see about the nice mulch and some plants.

With everything removed from all the gardens, things are looking bare indeed. So we'll chose plants he can care for easily and I won't have to water too much or dead head.

I have to say, though, our back yard looks bigger with all the stuff by the back fence gone and the big rhody that was on the north side gone too. One of our rhodies went across the street to the neighbor's yard and a rhody went next door to Geneva's garden. Our sod from the new beds went behind us to Val's chicken run, Antonio got eggs and I don't have to pay such a huge dump fee. Everybody wins!

It will be fun to shop for plants with someone who knows what they are doing. I have always plopped things in the ground and hoped for the best. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. Should work out better this time!

He cut back the snowfountain cherry too.

7 comments:

Brother Bear said...

Sounds like you live in a commune. Seattle...go figure.

Ray and Susan said...

A commune? Nope, just a good solid caring community. Why should sod go to the dump instead of my neighbor's coop? Why should the man who dug and hauled over the sod not get a reward of chicken eggs for his work? If my neighbors want to save my ratty old plants from being mulched up, why should they not have them? It's called sharing.

Don't do that much in your neck of the plains, eh?

Brother Bear said...

Our Home Owners Association will not even allowed us to grow vegetables! And chicken coops? You must be kidding, livestock? That kind of stuff is what they do in Dekalb County, not Dupage County. I mean, really!

Ray and Susan said...

People all over Pugetopolis own chickens. How odd you don't have any!

As for veggies, are there no community gardens there either? We have lots of those, and more urban gardens starting up in vacant lots every week. People round here have been known to grow veg in the treebanks, as well as the front yard planting areas. Carrot tops in particular are quite pretty.

I would not like to live where someone could dictate what I grew in my garden and where I could grow it. I think I'll stay right here in the "commune-ity".

Brother Bear said...

It's a two-edged sword. On one hand folks can't do things that would degrade the neighborhood. On the other hand it's the association that decides what will degrade the neighborhood. So my neighbor can't park his business truck (box truck)in his driveway or on the street and I can't grow veggies. It's a compromise.

Ray and Susan said...

I suppose it makes for a more homogenous and eye-pleasing neighborhood, but I like my neighborhood, where the houses are all different and we've all chosen to do something different in our yards. There's even a bright purple house north on the corner, and one south in the cul-de-sac and although I would not choose bright purple with dark purple trim for my house, it is ok with me if those guys want it. I bet you don't have any bright purple houses where you live. In fact, I know you don't. Imagine the look on the faces of the Association Board if they got up one fine morning and someone had painted their house bright purple! ha!

Brother Bear said...

Can you say Law Suit? That's what would happen.