I made pea soup the other day. Sort of. I have not had good luck with pea soup lately. The last time I made pea soup, a thing I used to make quite often when the boys were home and no one was diabetic or dieting, I rushed things and it came out quite gritty from the little chunks of still-too-dry pea halves. We like our pea soup blendered, so it's smooth. That last batch never got smooth, no matter how much time it spent whirling madly in the blender. Most of it went down the garbage disposal, unpleasant to eat.
But Ray likes home made pea soup, and as he is convalescing, I thought it would be a good thing to make. This time, trying to make the soup more nutritious and less calorie-dense, I decided carrots would be the perfect addition.
I got WAY too many carrots in the pea soup. I warn you now, never make that mistake. In fact, from now on, I will definitely not be putting any carrots in the pea soup.
It simmered on the stove all day and smelled pretty good although with heavy overtones of carrot aroma. When it was blended, it was a most unfortunate color. The supposed-to-be lovely green soup was instead a green-brown-orange color...grownge? It was ugly. Very, very ugly soup. If this soup was a dog, it would win the Annual Ugly Dog contest paws down. The soup smelled odd, although not exactly unpleasant.
We decided to eat it anyway, as we were hungry and it was already 6:30, far past our usual dinner time. Taste? Wellll, somewhere in between carrot and pea, as you might suspect. If you ask us, it was not an entirely happy marriage of flavors. Yes, I know they sell canned peas and carrots in every grocery store. But still. It was certainly edible, and not gaggy outside of it's looks, but those looks are hard to get past. Your brain does not know what to tell your tongue to expect given the wierd color and odd smell.
Pearrot soup has been served twice since then and we have eaten it, although I do not think it is aging gracefully. Some foods just get better with a day or two rest period in the fridge. This is not one of them.
5 comments:
Carrpea soup? Um, Yuk.
Yes, indeed. We ended up feeding the rest of the soup to the garbage disposal. It definitely did not age well, and after a couple of days, the color went very brown. Even uglier than before! Yeah, Yuk on the Carrpea/Pearrot soup. Never again!
Another chapter of culinary experiments closed. Thank goodness!
Oh, yeah. It was tougher to eat than cold Orange Soup. At least the Orange Soup tasted really good. I can't help it if in the candle light a certain somebody thought it was hot tomato soup and nearly choked to death. Not my fault!
oh my goodness...this soup sounds WAY NASTY!! YUCK!! I think it appropriate that the garbage disposal enjoyed it :)
Post a Comment