Today in honor of St. Patty's Day I bought some Irish Kerrygold Dubliner Cheese. Yum! It's called a white sharp cheddar, but we found it quite mellow and not nearly as tart as most white sharp cheddars.
It melts like a dream and one day I'm going to buy a big enough chunk to make some mac 'n cheese with it. I think that would taste quite astonishing. I also think it would make lovely grilled cheese sandwiches. But tonight, not having any worthy artisanal bread, I grated some Dubliner and made cheese potato (also Irish, potatoes are!) soup. Lovely on a cold winter night, to have hot soup for supper.
Dubliner is classed as a hard cheese, and grates up quite nicely. It was soft enough to grate easily, but not soft enough to squish instead of grate. I am not sure how it would grate with the fine side of the grater as it's much softer than, say, Parmesan.
It's nutty, a little, although not as nutty as Swiss or even Jarlsberg. It might even have a tad of sweetness to it. Dubliner would be a good gratin cheese. In any case, not being an official cheese taster, I can only tell you it's quite a lovely cheese and I will definitely be buying it again. I hear they sell it in large portions down at the Costco. Lucky me! I've got a Costco just 7 blocks away!
2 comments:
This sounds WAY better than the last culinary experiment!
Oh, yeah! Sublimely better than Pearot soup.
Post a Comment