Watching Paige graduate made me feel old inside. I clearly remember her birth, and holding her in my arms shortly after she was born. It seems like that was just the other day, and here she is suddenly graduating from high school! She's college bound and in my head she's still wearing diapers. The kids I had in my 12 year old Sunday School class (just yesterday, right?) are also graduating this year. In my head, they are eternally 12 years old. I turn around and people grow into adults, with me all unawares.
Watching Paige graduate also made me proud. Proud to be called "Grandma" by such an awesome person, proud of her for studying hard and getting scholarships and honors. Proud of her that she has earned immense support and respect from her classmates and teachers. I cannot take any credit for the fine young woman Paige has grown into. She and her parents did all that hard work. But I'm proud of her nonetheless. I could not be prouder if she was a child of my child, instead a child of my heart.
On Sunday, we feasted again, on Jason's venison steaks and fresh caught trout. We also were blessed with a bowlful of fresh figs and Rainier cherries, delicious prosciutto sliced so thin you could read a newspaper through it, fresh grilled asparagus, grilled potato salad and a choice of two pies for dessert. I contributed a fresh green salad and corn on the cob. Jason grilled the meats and vegetables, Justin supplied the fruits and ham, the asparagus and the pies. Lauren helped everyone with the prep and cooking. After dinner, we indulged in a hot game of Settlers of Catan before we decided we had room for pie. And then it was after Ray's bedtime and the young people went home. The dishwasher got a work out and did 3 loads on Sunday. I am pleased to report that the China Gentle setting on the dishwasher works very well and did no damage to the good china.
Monday meant Taco Bell with Brion and Geneva and after Ray and Brion went to a ham radio meeting. On Saturday there is some sort of Ham-Fest and Ray wants to go with Brion and the Grands Emma and Kaj to that.
So now it's Tuesday and into the work week. The people who live behind us are packing up to move out and into a townhouse they have bought. I will miss them, as they have been quiet neighbors and have definitely improved the yard back there. Tonight we will dine on venison steak salad and fruit. I may bake a little loaf of multigrain bread. I think I have some in the freezer.
I'm still working on getting the cookbook recipes into the Living Cookbook. Like my genealogy program, that program has capabilities I have not even touched yet. But since I can't take the books with me in Winnie MoHo, the data entry comes first. Then I can go back and learn the inventory, shopping and planning tools.
The rain has stopped early this year and the grass is already turning brown. We would love to water it and keep it green, but we really can't afford the water bill when we do that. The year we had a drip system on the garden, the water bill was over 400 dollars for the duration of the trip. You would think in a place where it rains all the time that water would be cheap. But no. It's not.
The camellias, magnolias and rhodies are done blooming, the irises are done blooming, the chives are blooming and the cilantro. The peas are drying up as are the garlics. The strawberries are ripening, just yesterday I picked 5 whole strawberries from the 3 plants we nurture on the back steps. Used to be 4 plants, but one of them croaked this winter. I need to start thinking about a fall garden and a winter garden as the spring/summer garden consisted of fall planted garlic and volunteer peas and cilantro. We've never tried gardening in the winter, but I'm thinking that cabbages might do well, and maybe lettuce, if we had a cold frame, and Ray can make one of those easily enough. What else can we grow in the winter? And we need to think about something to plant for the spring, so the gardens look good when we put the house on the market. Once again the squirrels ate the calla lilly bulbs.
The monstrous huge houses across the street are still for sale. At 636 thousand, I think they are overpriced for the neighborhood and may take a while to unload. I am glad they are not mine.
Still waiting for the kitchen cabinet doors. The bill will be here before the doors are.....and then it's on to the next house project.
6 comments:
An endearing almost mournful tale. Soft and gentle yet bitter sweet and a little sad. Intended or not this is a perfect glimpse into the essence of who you are. Well done.
There is a melancholy that follows the dazzling, frenzied rush as youth springs into adulthood. Babies in a flash become businessmen.
It's not hard to feel old in these conditions and I understand it clearly. But it's a different kind of old that grips you. In youth we are full of the promise of what the future holds. Unbridled and unbounded youth rushes fearlessly into life. We, on the other hand, stand peering into cloudy advance of our declining years with all the fear that we cast aside in our youth. Odd how that happens. But know this, you are not alone.
Why, thank you Bro!
Babies do become businessmen and women in a flash. Ray reminded me last night that in 5 years or less Paige could give us a great-grandbaby!!! Holy Moly! I had not even dared think that. A great-grandmother is Really Old.
I would not say I'm afraid of the future, but more that I feel regrets for the things that have gone undone and things that have passed into history too quickly for my taste.
Ah well, my comments are made from my perch not yours and I shouldn't have been so inclusive. I am fearful of the future and I have many regrets. Now that I am nearing the brink of what I have spent my life working towards, I find the reality much different than the dream.
Jason & Justin are not out of the running yet, have faith.
Are you afraid of being elderly or afraid of living under the bridge?
Yes.
I see.
Post a Comment