Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Could Have Been Worse

At the request of a storm chaser hiding amongst the readers, here's a blog about yesterday's storm. It was wild! Until it got to Rapid City, it was just a little one, but then, in the words of the Weather Guy on KOTA, it blew up. Big time, I am here to tell you.


It kept creeping closer...


And closer....


And closer....


And closer still....


It's almost on top of us...


Here it comes!


And this is what it looked like at the height of the rain. It went from a few fat drops to a downpour in no time flat.


Here's a good hail picture. I took it from the living room window, aimed down at the grass next to our rig. You can see a bit of Andy's rig parked next door, in the upper right corner, but not very well, because of the rain and the hail.


Ray posted the after picture on Facebook, but I've got something else for you, if I can make an audio upload work. Nope, I can't. I get an error processing the file. Phooey. It was quite impressive. Maybe I can get it on FB.

Anyway, it was a big storm. We didn't get hail much bigger than a small mothball, but other parts of the area saw 3" hail. Honestly! I can't even imagine hail that big and hope I never have occasion to see it. The weather man had a picture of a cloud wall that formed and had it been a bit more humid, we'd have had a tornado. Good news, storm chasers! Today is a lot more humid. The weather man has no doubt that today will be filled with severe weather alerts. O, joy.

No sign of a storm yet, but I know it doesn't take them long to pop up around here and I no longer trust the clear skies. If there is another storm, I will be sure to issue alarmed messages on Facebook, especially if mention of egg-sized hail or tornado is made.

Oh, and I picked up a bit of virus somewhere and must thank whomever left his/her virii hanging about. Thanks, hacking children and adults. I totally enjoy having a sore throat and huge tonsils. Not!!!




4 comments:

Weena Barie said...

Another virus? Yuk! You sure pick those up easily.
I, Ms. Storm Chaser, certainly appreciate the weather reports. Jeff and I have decided that when The Day comes, we will outfit our rig with some storm chasing gear and go boldly where you refuse to go! Lol

Weena Barie said...

PS...I like that you put a link to your blog on Facebook...it helps me to remember to visit :)

Brother Bear said...

Welcome to your new Home! Storm capitol of the Dakotas. All those years you spent hiding out from storms and now they are seeking you out! This is when the fun really begins, how cool it is to know a real storm chaser, but just who is chasing whom?

Oh, YOU caught a virus, thank Goodness it wasn't your computer!:-)

Ray and Susan said...

The storms are chasing me! And terrifying Norm. I can only assume they enjoy that, as they come by so frequently. Another Severe Weather Watch today. (Saturday)