Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Rider Education in Danger!

Here in Washington State, Rider Training is threatened by the budget shortfall. Our governor has proposed eliminating all the State Advisory Boards. It happens that our state has had an active Motorcycle Safety and Advisory Board for over 25 years. They oversee our motorcycle safety program. The rider training program itself is at risk for a year's "postponement" or total elimination.

I find this most alarming at a time more and more people are buying motorcycles and scooters. Whether or not you ride a motorcycle or scooter, if you live in Washington State, you should be alarmed too. Write your legislators and demand they do not eliminate the Motorcycle Safety and Advisory Board and the Rider Training programs. Our training programs are revenue neutral for our state, in other words, it costs our taxpayers nothing and the program is proven to save lives. Washington voters, write your legislators right away!!!

Here are the bills and relevant sections:
HB 2087: Eliminates the board in its entirety (see section 34)
HB 1497: Kills the entire motorcycle safety training program (see section 901 (12))
SB 5588: Suspends the entire program until July 1, 2011 (see section 109)

Here is a link to the legislators:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/Default.aspx

Ok, off the soapbox for now.

The question for today is, What are you going to do to further your own rider education this year?

Ray is taking 2 different advanced rider courses, I'm arranging for some private cornering lessons. We're thinking seriously about attending a Rider Education Workshop in Buckley, WA the end of March. Until the weather warms and clears out, I'll break out the Proficient Motorcycling and More Proficient Motorcycling books we have and review. And I'll add nag the Motorcycle Doctor to that must-do list. Spring is coming and I need my scoot!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you don't already belong to the AMA you should join. They are the legislative voice of the motorcycling public, call them for help. And how about the MSF? Where are they on the issue?

I've spied two bikes going past my office window today and the streets are white with salt dust. Nope, not me.

I have no plans to take any classes this year, but wouldn't mind taking the Advanced Rider course from the MSF, but classes are hard to get in to.

Ray and Susan said...

Classes are easier to get into if you actually go online NOW and sign up for the class! Do it now and I'll be waiting for your report on the class date.

Bikes are out around here year round. People do commute on bikes in the pouring rain. You would not believe the dirty, dirty Areostitches we see. Too cold for me, but I'm a wimpy girly girl.

We don't belong to the AMA. I have some issues with some of their beliefs. However, we have been thinking about it. They are just a voice. They lobby. I believe a letter from a real constituent has more power than a lobbyist. I hope anyway.

The MSF is of course, lobbying hard and rallying the troops that being the hordes of riders in the state. I am sure I am not the only rider who's written to their reps about this issue. Probably whatever arm the AMA has here is also rallying their own troops.

The sad thing is that even some riders don't think the safety programs are necessary.

I'd like to see more cager training so that they learn to actually see motorcycles and stop doing dumb things, like making left turns in front of us. But that's going to be a different year.

Snowing like mad in the mountains, but I saw a few errant flakes in my own back yard about 9:30 this morning. I hope it stays up in the mountains where it belongs.

Anonymous said...

What is it about the AMA that you do not like? If you think they support ABATE you are wrong.

Anonymous said...

Well, I will be taking the Advanced Accident Scene Management course this spring, having taken the basic couse last fall. Not sure if Jeff is doing anything more this year; he took several advanced classes last year.

Ray and Susan said...

Wow, Weena, that's a good course to take! Excellent. Too many people don't know what to do in an accident event and when you ride in a group as you often do, they need someone who knows.

Any increased desire to wear gear as a result of the class you took last year?

Anonymous said...

Yes, Weena, what about the gear?

Anonymous said...

Bloggers in Danger of Boredom!

More News Please!