Friday, February 27, 2009

I Think I'm Better

Antibiotics are all swallowed on schedule and I think I am better...still some coughing and crud lingering. Now we'll see if it all comes back.

Unbelieveably, it snowed 4" just in time for the morning rush hour yesterday and made a mess of roads and traffic again. Ray wisely stayed home and plotted gps coordinates for motorcycle trips. The sun came out about 10 and rapid meltage ensued. This is the way snow is supposed to behave, but it is out of it's usual season. It is so rare for it to snow measurable, sticking amounts of snow this time of year. Honestly, I can't remember a time in the 20 years we've lived here that it's snowed this many times or this late in the season. We've had years with a bigger total snowfall, but that came in one big dump, it melted after a few days (or hours) and never came back.

But this year! Snowfall after snowfall. And it hung around for day after frozen day. If it had all come at once, we'd look like Ontario, so I'm glad it dropped in batches instead. I know that you midworsteners laugh at our snow troubles and I know 4 inches would be nothing to you guys. But here, 4 inches is disasterous. People don't know how to drive in snow and when you couple that with our hilly, curvy roads, crump! Accident after accident. You're just better off staying home until it melts. Which it did. Mostly. There's still some in the shady grassy areas, but it will be gone as soon as the rain starts in, which it will.

Hope that is the last of the snow for this year. It's nearly time to ride!

What is your first ride of the year going to be? what do you hope to accomplish on that ride? How far will you go, in hours and miles?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Snowed here again this morning. We're supposed to get two inches before it's done.

First Ride? After all the salt and sand is off the roads.

Ray and Susan said...

Around here, they are already getting the sand off the roads. We don't use salt, so no worries about that.

So, when they finally clean up your neck of suburbia, where will you go? What will your goals be for that first ride? Will you take Sister Bear with you or go solo?

Anonymous said...

The first ride is usually solo as Honey Bear finds Spring riding too cold. There are no goals for the first ride as it will be weather dependent, but I'm guessing around 100 miles. No destination other than West, beyond the maddening crowd. Maybe a tour along the Fox River or out to the Rock River, we'll see.

Anonymous said...

Jeff already had his first ride of the year, last Friday, when it was 62 and sunny here in good 'ole Illinois! He had the biggest smile on his face when he walked in that door. Not sure when I will get my first ride; with my Raynauds as bad as it is, it has to be a bit warmer for me!