Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Day Ride

Saturday was a great day for a ride. Jason was slaving away trying to catch up on the week's work and Justin was taking a break in his odyssey spending the weekend up on Mount Lemon near Tucson. Susan's new bike has not gotten its third wheel yet so it was just TJ and I for the day. I meet him at his house and we headed up north to Arlington, Darrington, Rockport, Sedro-Woolley and back through Arlington then on home via I 5. Decent roads and light traffic once we got off of I 5 and 405. It's a bit a drag, from our house it's nearly an hours ride in any direction just to get to decent roads and out of the traffic. But the weather was perfect. In the mid 60's, hardly any clouds. It was so perfect that I forgot to take the camera so no pictures, sorry.

We had lunch at a small tavern / restaurant in Darrington. Decent burger, lots of fries and very reasonable. I wish I could remember the name. It is on the north side of Hwy 530. I think it is Glacier Peak Cafe. That what it looks like using Google maps.

The roads are nice but not great. Probably a little tame for TJ's preferences, but for this old man it was nice. The best twisties are on Hwy 9 between Sedro-Woolley and Arlington. There is a real slow section (35mph speed limit) but very twisty. Overall I enjoyed the ride.

Next week I am scheduled for an Advanced Street Skills course at Pacific Raceways which is just south of Seattle. Hope the weather is as good but probably wont be. We don't get that many perfect days this time of year. I am looking forward to it. Should be a lot of fun.

4 comments:

Brother Bear said...

I checked out your route on the map. I am positively GREEN. What a nice ride. And you're out there hang'in with the Kneedrager himself, TJ. You're running in fast company when you do that!

It's a shame though that you don't have the opportunity to enjoy our flat and mostly curveless roads. Our two most important motorcycle accessories are Cruise Control and a Large Cup of imported Seattle Coffee.

Ray and Susan said...

Flat? Straight? Who needs that?

Bear, you seriously need to move someplace where your most important accessories will be the accelerator and the brakes.

You go drinking that imported Seattle coffee and you'll go blind. That stuff is awful.

Brother Bear said...

To your comment on Justin's blog about your cross-country trip...I'm waiting. I don't think you've figured out how many wheels it's going to take.

Ray and Susan said...

Wheels ain't the problem, Bear, it's money.