The people across the back yard are gone again and since no one seemed to be coming over to take care of chickens, I went over to check yesterday. And because I like the chickens.
Yesterday evening they had a full bucket of food and water. There were 3 eggs in one of the nest boxes. I left the eggs, because I thought someone would be coming for them and to take care of the hens.
Today I went over about 7 just to check and those chickens had eaten all the feed and drunk all the water...like 3 gallons of water in one day. But it was hot today so I suppose they were thirsty. Chickens are sensitive to the heat, did you know that? The hens came clamoring to the coop door when they saw me coming and could not decide whether to eat first or drink first. All the hens didn't fit at the feeder, so I threw some feed around the run, so everyone could get a quick bite. Or peck. They seemed to be truly starving.
There were 2 eggs in a nest box and 3 eggs on the dirt just outside of the boxes. So I brought them home and put them in the fridge and will give them to the owner when they get home.
And I guess no one is taking care of the chickens, or not very good care, so I'll go over again in the am and make sure they have enough food and water. Maybe I'll take some lettuce leaves, they like greens.
Somebody is either molting or getting pecked. There are feathers all over the place at one end of the run.
A couple of hens would be fun to have...but I can't convince Ray. Fresh eggs are so tasty! And the hens are so cute! I've even got a cute little coop design picked out....but I can't convince Ray. And Norman seems to think chickens are major prey. That could be a problem...but I can't convince Ray.
8 comments:
Oh Boy!
O boy,what?
when them chickens start to lay eggs is when they taste best fried or grilled
But after you get all the eggs, then you can stew those chickens, with dumplings! In the meantime, eggs are good fried too.
Sidecar sidebar? Chickens? Gad Zooks.
Well, you wanted more postings. There's more in my life than my scoot. You want more posting, you get more of my life.
Well if you're going to be that way about it at least take the chickens for a ride in the sidecar! Motorcycling, remember?
Our blog. We can write about whatever we want.
Post a Comment