will remain unmet for a while.
The motorhome is up at the dealership again, for an extended stay to repair and repaint the part of the hood that was damaged upon delivery. The selling dealership in CA, those blaggards, finally agreed to pay the cost of the repair. We've been trying to get it fixed since October 31, 2011. Should be done the end of this week or sometime next week if all goes well. And we plan on getting out sometime in April for a weekend.
But I have to tell you, I do not miss the behemoth parked in the driveway. It's so much easier to get in and out without that huuuuge wall sitting in half the driveway. Probably easier for all the neighbors too. I sure wish we'd get to the top of some motorhome parking waiting list. (we're on 2 lists)
As for the motorcycles, it is still snowing around here and is way too chilly to go out riding without a snowmobile suit and heated gloves and sox. Brrrr! I have not seen many motorcycles out at all so far. Just wait til the first sunny, dry and slightly warm day and they'll pop out like bees out a hive.
However, I can tell you that we are planning a weekend out in the mh soon, and are planning to attend both a Good Sam motorhome rally (in the arcane language of the Sammers, it's called a Samboree) in Moses Lake in late spring and a sidecar rally in Coeur D'Alene later in the summer. We are going back and forth about simply riding bikes and taking the motorhome for hauling bikes on a trailer and for feed and shelter. In general, I don't much favor trailering bikes to an event, but in this case, the mh would be handy. Maybe I'll let Ray haul his bike and I'll ride mine. Unless the weather sux.
Jason and 2 friends borrowed the mh for a long weekend and went out fishing on opening day (for some species or other). They caught so many fish the first day they ended up throwing a bunch of fish back because they had more fish than they wanted to deal with. So wouldn't you know? The remainder of the weekend, nary a fish to be had outside of the Safeway.
Clark and 4 friends will borrow the mh during the Ides of May for an overnight casino trip. Cheaper than paying for the casino hotel, even with gas and propane refills, Clark says. And of course, they can cook for themselves, which is bound to be way better than casino food.
So, if you had a motorhome, would you buy a motorhome site in a single membership park when you already have a membership to all the parks? It would get the mh out of the drive and give us an out of immediate area meeting spot in case of natural disaster. Of course, that assumes the roads are driveable and in an earthquake, who knows? But we can buy a site in any of the Thousand Trails/NACO/Leisure Time resorts....What do you think?
9 comments:
Hummm...many questions/comments. First of all....still snowing and cold??? You are kidding, right? It's been at 80 or HIGHER here all week! Unseasonable warm, lovely, and kind of weird all at the same time. :) As far as parking the MH....go for it! I think it would be very nice to not have it sitting in your driveway, unles you are ready to pack it up. However, I have to say that maybe you are watching too many episodes of Doomsday Preppers....a meeting place in the event of a natural disaster?? You are the only person I know of that would come up with that as a potential reason to buy a parking spot for the MH! LOL...love you. Sure wish we lived closer so WE could borrow the MH sometime. :)
First, you are allowed to park that beast of a MH in your driveway?! I could never do that so count yourself lucky.
Second, maybe you are not so lucky as the great Northworst weather is just that, the worst. We here in the Midbest are enjoying 85 degree days and 65 degree nights. Motorcycles abound. Why my BIL Jeff even road Carmen Electra Glide to my office yesterday. I even charged my motorcycle battery!
I think Jason caught too few fish and drank too many beers. (Wish I was there.)
If RVing is like Boating the closer the boat is to your home the less likely you are to use it. Folks who have their boat at a dock at their home use it less than those who have to drive an hour to use their boat. So, if you have a trip planned every week or two keep the RV at home. That way it will be easier to provision, depart and return. If not get a slip and park it. However, motorhomes are made to travel and fifth wheels are made to park. So, maybe what you need to do is find a parking space close to home.
Unfortunately, Weena Barie, I am not kidding. It is cold here. it got down to 35 last night, at noon it is 46. Yesterday's high was 47. It snowed in some places in the area last night. Snowed a couple of inches at our house last Monday night. It's looking like another long, cold winter and another cold summer.
We are overdue for a magnitude 9+ earthquake here in Western Washington. If my house falls down and/or the 50 foot trees fall on it, where will we go? What will we do? Sit here in the 40 degree rain and wait for the government? We saw how well that worked in New Orleans. What will you do if a tornado hits your house?
The local red cross has for years advocated having a family meeting place in event of earthquake. Hopefully out of the earthquake zone and safe with all the utilities intact. It's not so crazy as all that.
I wish you could borrow the mh too. You just got to move out here.
The main purpose of purchasing a lot would be to have a safe place to store the mh that's not my driveway, not primarily to provide shelter in case of disaster. That is just an added bonus.
We are on 2 lists for parking spaces. One is 66 bucks a month and the other is 120. Not exactly cheap for a parking space. The cheap one is 25 miles away at the base. The other is about 8-12 miles away.
I have to agree our weather right now sucks, but we are still The Pacific NorthBest.
And yes, we can park the behemoth in the drive. We do not live in a CCR neighborhood, just an old fashioned neighborhood where you can paint your house purple if you want (and they have) and keep giant mh in the drive. I can't park it in the yard unless I make a parking space for it with either gravel or concrete or blacktop. So the drive it is until we get the privilege of paying for it elsewhere. It will be safer elsewhere. It's already been egged by some young idiot with too much time and eggs to spare.
Jason has gout (thanks to you). He does not drink beer anymore. No fish.
We can't go every week or two as much as we wish we could. At best we'll get out once a month.
My sympathies for Jason. Although I don't think an uncle can pass gout onto his nephew. Nonetheless I fee his pain.
Put me on the list for borrowing the mh too. In fact, if a tornado blows my house away I'll gather up my small family and we will come live in the mh while our house is being rebuilt.
For the price of a parking spot you could buy a lot and build a garage to put the mh in.
Try to get building permits for a thing that size!
Piece of cake.
Now get busy and write something new and interesting about Motorhomes and Motorcycles!
Gee, this is a nice newsy blog. So much current information one could just take a nap with no fear of being awakened by incoming information!
Tough luck. No decent weather until yesterday.
And around here we have rules about how much land you can cover up with buildings. We'd never get a permit for that on this lot.
Post a Comment