Saturday, April 18, 2009

Illegality On 4 Wheels

We've been informed by someone in the know that the Washington State Patrol in it's infinte wisdom has decided that my wheels render my bike illegal. They say it's not a motorcycle and it's not a trike. They don't say what it is, so I guess they were so confused by the 4 wheels that they simply can't say.

I won't be stopped just because of the wheels, but if I am observed doing something not within the parameters of the law, my bike will be impounded on the spot and I will be instantaneously afoot. Of course, if some patrol person is having a bad day, that officer could decide to arrest my scoot and I just because.

I also suppose that should I be involved in a multi-vehicle accident that it will automatically be my "fault" whether it is or not.

That makes me wonder if the insurance will cover me if I'm riding an "illegal" bike.

Oh, bother. I really can't afford another bike.

13 comments:

Weena Barie said...

So....what does this "mean" in the real world? Can you still ride it? Must you apply for a special type of permit or license? Who told you this? Will you still ride it?? I am so sad to hear this and so curious as to what you will do about it!?

Brother Bear said...

What is Tow-Pak doing for you? They sold you the thing that made your scoot illegal.

Ray and Susan said...

The MSF instructor/company owner told Ray. We've all been e-mailing about getting some more training for me. No one offers advanced training for trikes, so we were enquiring about some personal training for me.

Apparently, I can still ride it, but if I break a law the police can, and probably will, impound my bike on the spot. However, I risk running into someone who's having a bad day and wants to busty some chops.

I already have a trike license.

I don't know what I'm going to do. I think I will still chance riding around town, but I don't know about out of town.

Bro Bear, when Tow-Pak sold me the wheels 2 years ago, they WERE legal. It's not their fault. It's the fault of people who don't understand how the wheels function. As far as I know, this is the only state they are deemed "illegal".

The wheels can come off in 15 minutes and the scoot looks like any other Morph. But I don't have a 2 wheel endorsement and right now don't care to take that class for the 3rd time.

Brother Bear said...

You have a few options, you can get real and go two wheels, buy a legitimate three-wheeler or wimp out and not ride. By far the least costly and most biker like is to pull the pins and take your training wheels off. But you probably won't do that. No, not you. Like Justin who learned it from you, you must travel a more obscure path. Well, good luck with that.

1600 Kaw said...

Hso the state police have made the law or was it your state rep that passed the law? and is the AMA doing enything for you and your fellow bikers with training wheels?

Ray and Susan said...

The state police finally made an interpretation of the law that has been on the books for a long time. That law says a motorcycle has 2 or 3 wheels. Mine has 4 and the WSP has decided that makes it a "car", but since my "car" doesn't have all the requisite safety equipment, it's not a street legal vehicle. Its a decision years in the making.

Ray and Susan said...

Brother Bear, "REAL" is different things for different people.

I can't just "go buy a "legitimate" 3 wheeler"--those things cost 30 thousand dollars and up. People retiring in 6 years don't have that kind of swag laying around for spending.

Ride your own ride unless it means more than 2 wheels? Snob.

Ray and Susan said...

The AMA? When they are not busy racing, they mostly want to protect me from helmet laws.

Brother Bear said...

You know nothing of the AMA. They sold off most of the racing stuff and for the most part concentrate on Biker's Rights. Don't be so closed minded, go to the site and read. You might realize that you have a friend in the AMA.

As far as your calling me a snob, may I remind you that I suggested a three-wheeler? I am not a snob, but real bikes do have two or three wheels.

Ray and Susan said...

"I am not a snob, but REAL BIKES..."

Man, you got me fooled.

My bike is a real bike. Shame on you for saying otherwise. Snob.

Brother Bear said...

Hey! It wasn't me that made the judgment that your bike is not a real bike, the WSP did that. I'm not the snob, they are! After all, I was but echoing the law in my statement.

You obviously can't be counted on to make the right decision, so the Government must make it for you. Ain't Socialism great?

Ray and Susan said...

Do not go getting political on me or I will have to erase your comments.

Brother Bear said...

Nothing but facts. No political content.