Wednesday, April 8, 2009

One Lesson Learned

While on our second ride yesterday, about an hour into it, a single ominous word began flashing on my dashboard.

It flashed OIL...OIL...OIL...OIL.

Urgently. OIL! OIL! OIL! EEEK! OIL!

So I used the handy dandy helmet-mounted communication device to report to Ray that my bike's oil light was on and I thought we should head for home. He was suprised, because he'd checked the oil on Saturday and it was fine. My scoot was not smoking, there was no oil on any of the places I'd parked since then. Puzzlement.

We get home and immediately check the oil. Hmmmm. Looks, ok, but let's get out the book and be sure. So we page thru the book, which has an index, but that turns out to be useless or we don't think the same way the book's authors did. But on page 6-15 we find information about oil. No picture of the dipstick's cryptic markings, but enough info to figure it out.

The problem was, the scoot has decided that it needs an oil change. Oil! Oil! Oil! means change me NOW. I know The Motorcycle Doctor changed the Oil! Oil! Oil! at 600 miles. Now the scoot has 3853 miles on it, so I do suppose it's time to yield to the scoot's will and change the Oil! Oil! Oil! NOW!

So, let this be a lesson for you too. Before riding season starts, get out that owner's manual and give it a quick read. It may save you the horrible sick feeling I had when I thought something was terminally wrong with the Oil! Oil! Oil!

And Motorcycle Doctor, if you're reading this, you know you'll see that scoot and I soon. Be sure to have OIL! on hand. I'll bring the OIL! filter.

4 comments:

Brother Bear said...

Ha! Owners Manuals. Aren't you supposed to read those before you even sit on the scoot? Obviously you didn't do that and the result is that you had a perfectly good ride cut short by a "Change your oil" reminder. Ha! Imagine, the two of you, Geeks Supreme, tripped by an electronic gizmo. It's all too funny.

Ray and Susan said...

Oh, no, I read the manual when we bought the scoot. I read it from cover to cover.

But I've got other things to remember, and so I forgot that thing.

Ray went back out for another hour. I opted out, to fix dinner.

It was pretty funny though. In retrospect. At the time, I was stricken by the thought that I had let something bad happen to my scoot.

I didn't expect it to complain at me about OIL!

Brother Bear said...

Technology. It effects you in ways you don't expect.

BTW, I'm jealous that you are riding.

Ray and Susan said...

Don't be too jealous, we're back in the rain for a while.