Saturday, April 18, 2009

Training Day

I completed an intermediate riders course yesterday. It was raining very hard when I got up and had breakfast, but by the time I was ready to go it was just misting. With the forecast being 60% chance of rain all day I put all the rain gear on and headed off. Normally I would not go out in that kind of weather but looking on the bright side I figured if I did OK in the rain than everything would be great if the rain ever stops here. It was still misting when I got to the class but stopped before we did our first exercises. It didn't rain or mist any more the rest of the day. The clouds started breaking up about noon and we needed sunglasses shortly after that. It turned into a nice day. It is beautiful today, but that's a different entry.

The exercises were mostly the same as the novice class, but no classroom sessions. The class was all on the range. There were a couple of exercises that were focused on cornering techniques. Those participants that didn't have an endorsement could test after the class to get it. Justin also attended the class, tested and passed. He's now official and legal on two wheels.

They have a rectangle in which you have to make a figure eight. I think it is the hardest of all the exercises you have to do. I could not do it when we started but after many tries and remembering to really look waaaay over my shoulder and trust the bike I was able to consistently make the turns.

There was another exercise which was basically a big race track around the range with weaves on one side. That was fun. By the end I had gone 11 miles during the class. I took a longer way home it was so nice but it was a little cooler on the road than at the range, at a little higher speed. All in all worthwhile, fun and a good experience.

It is beautiful day today and I am thinking of going for a ride. Susan is still getting over a cold so she doesn't feel like going. So it may be a lone ride.

4 comments:

Weena Barie said...

All this talk about training makes me think about trying it again.....

Brother Bear said...

And that would be GREAT!

Well done Jason. Legal at last.

What are the dimensions of the figure 8 box?

Ray and Susan said...

No, no, JUSTIN. Jason's been legal since he was 18.

Brother Bear said...

Way to go Justin! You do march to a different drummer, but in the end you get it right.

As far as Jason being legal since he was 18, that's a whole different topic. :-)