We've settled on the first 3 days of our route. We get part of the way to Dickinson, ND in that time. Ray figures any place within the first 3 days we can visit at a later time from here so we're just scooting by those places. That was the easy part of the planning.
But after that, the options are nearly overwhelming. There are so many roads, so many places to see, so many places to spend a few hours! Plan a trip like this and you realize what an enormous, beautiful country we have. You realize it in a different way than looking at the Weather Channel's map or watching as you jet over, arriving in Chicago a mere 3 or 4 hours after you depart SeaTac.
Every day we discover another place, another good motorcycle road, another spot we'd like to spend some time exploring.
We may never get to Illinois and back again at this rate. We'll be spending the rest of our lives on interesting roads. And that's not a such bad way to spend our time, is it?
14 comments:
Just go and make memories! See all you can see. Smell all you can smell. Taste all you can taste. Experience all you can experience. This trip in particular is about the ride and not the destination. If you don't make it to Illinois, we will miss you. But if you acquire the memories of a lifetime, that's what counts.
I think some at the Illinois end of the trip would be less forgiving, don't you?
But yes, it's about the memories and the experiences and the ride. It's going to be fun, beautiful and a challenge. And some days might be horrible.
No doubt we would all be disapointed, some would be very disapointed, but in the end I think all would understand if you can't make it. This isn't a trip to do or die trying. e'd much rather have you living when it's all over so that we can tease you about being so overcome with options you forgot to choose Illinois.
Oh, yes, it's very much do or die this trip!
Trip to Do or Die trying? We've all heard the eulogies saying that, "He/She died doing what He/She loved to do.", but is that the what you want your eulogy to be?
Either that or "died quietly while reading a good book".
I simply meant we have to do it now because we might not be able to do it later.
While most folks would choose to die in a road accident, there's a lot to be said for living life to the fullest with as much gusto as you can muster. It's better to have lived life to its end saying, "What a ride!", than to have never taken the ride at all.
Oops! I meant to say "Not Choose".
I'd definitely not choose to die in a road accident! Breaking a leg was bad enough.
Well I'm glad to know that! But does that mean that you will actually be on a road going faster than walking speed? Hopefully you've ended your quest to be in the Cirque du Soleil All Clown Scooter Drill Team.
Good grief! You really think I'm that nuts? I drive the speed limit, you dork. I race with semis! But I'm working on joining the United Sidecar Association's drill team.
The United Sidecar Association's Drill Team eh? Intricate low-speed maneuvers en-mass is so your style. It's so Monty Python.
Are you going to make the 32nd National Rally in Essex Junction, Vermont this July?
Vermont sounds like a fun idea. ut I dought that the Goldwing with sidecar would make it. Thers the truck and trailer though.
We're not going to Vermont this year, we're stopping at Illinois. The national Rally will have to wait til next year.
Although there is a National MotoGuzzi Rally in June down at John Day, Oregon. That we could do. There will be sidecars there! A sidecar group is "in attendance". Whatever that means.
Post a Comment