Monday, March 5, 2012

Chicken Fever!

No, we're not sick, we don't have a fever. It's just that spring is coming despite today's snowfall.

In the spring, I want chickens. And a coop to keep them in. Just a couple of hens for delicious fresh eggs. Homegrown eggs taste much better than store eggs and I know they are far fresher.

In the spring, Ray tells me we will be having no chickens. No coops. No fresh eggs.

Drat!

Here in the urbs, chickens are a good thing to have, providing one is not a rooster. It has been widely noted that neighbors do not appreciate rooster serenades. And from living in the barrio in the PI for a while, I concur. Those darn roosters seemed to think 3 am is a fine time to go crowing around. Not! Especially not for a person who was trying to adjust to a different time zone, different culture, different climate. Ray, on the other hand, being a Navy man, had no trouble at all. He didn't even hear the roosters.

But hens, they are pretty quiet. They cluck around and once in a while brag about an egg. But that's nothing very noisy. The dogs around here are way noisier than any chickens I've ever met.

Still, tho I am possessed by Chicken Fever, Ray says no. So once again, no chickens in my backyard. Sigh.

10 comments:

Brother Bear said...

Chickens? Huh. Have all the grocery stores closed? Do eggs no longer come by the dozen in cardboard boxes? Why this obsession with Chickens and moreover, eggs?

Having been a child forced into servitude I cleaned many a chicken coop. Collecting the eggs is OK, but cleaning the coop is definitely not OK. Why would you choose to do this? It makes no sense.

Ray and Susan said...

I cleaned many a coop too, but you may not remember, having in mind only your own indentured service.

I only want 2 chickens. That's barely a coop. Cleaning up after 2 hens would not be a burden. In our youth, we cleaned COOPS, many chickens worth. 2 hens is nothing in comparison.

Eggs taste good! Fresh-laid eggs taste even better. Way better, in fact.

Chickens are cute and fun to watch and soothing to hear clucking around the yard. I love the little sounds chickens make.

Yes, the stores are still open and they still sell eggs. I don't know how the hens have been raised, I don't know what they've been fed or dosed with, I don't know how the eggs have been handled and the eggs, by the time they get to that cardboard carton and into my store, are already old.

And that's why I want chickens.

Brother Bear said...

You are right, the quality of all but the expensive designer eggs is poor. The eggs are indeed old by the time they reach the store and they are not as good as fresh. However, I, unlike you, have no desire to have chickens. Are you going to take them with you in your MH? I know folks who travel with tomato plants, but chickens?

Ray and Susan said...

There are also people who travel with a couple of chickens. The little coop and the run go in the back of the pickup truck and the chickens ride inside the coop. Easy.

Brother Bear said...

I think that if I pulled into an RV park and the folks next to us had a mini chicken coop I'd pull right back out again and look for another RV Park.

Ray and Susan said...

2 little hens? Why would you leave just because 2 little hens were in the next space? I'd rather have 2 hens next door than a pack of anklebiting, yapping little hairy dogs.

Brother Bear said...

I guess you've never been pecked by chickens.

My dog is not yappy and does not bite ankles, but in you case she may make an exception.

Ray and Susan said...

I have been pecked. I don't expect you would be in my space trying to get my hens to bite you.

Ankle biting dogs anyway!

Brother Bear said...

Oh Yeah! Well you can have your nasty, smelly, noisy, beakfaced chickens. My dog makes much better company and she likes chicken, so stay close.

Ray and Susan said...

If I had hens, they would be neither nasty nor smelly. They would, however, be beakfaced.