Monday, August 11, 2008

Clean Bikes and Corduroy Roads

When Ray came home, we washed our bikes with this stuff we bought, S100 motorcycle cleaner. You just squirt it on and then rinse it off right away. It worked pretty good where the bugs weren't. He had to scrub the bugs, which on my bike means alot of scrubbing. Ol' Wrex catches alot of bugs on his wheel fenders.

It not being his bike, but mine, he did not wipe Wrex down and so now I have to Honda Wax him. Wrex, not Ray. Waterspots all over my beautiful trike! Tsk.

Wrex has to go into Jason's shop today to have his front brake system checked. It should just about pop Wrex on his nose if I jam on that brake, and it isn't. And he's got 2 lights out in his rear stop light. Ray says it makes Wrex look gap-toothed.

It came to my attention that I had forgotten to tell you about the mountain roads in Oregon....they seem to have sizeable logs as the first layer under the tarmac. And I thought the washboards in Washington were bad! And to make it more interesting, the State of Oregon's road builders laid the logs in a clever chevron pattern, with the point being at the middle of the road. I don't know if they do it for wet/winter traction reasons or just to rattle a motorcyclist's teeth loose.

Imagine you are an ant with an ant-sized motorcycle and you have to ride that motorcycle over wide wale corduroy. That's about what those roads felt like to us. It was bad enough for Ray, but for a vehicle with widely spaced wheels, it felt worse. Some wheel was always going over a bump, but every wheel hit a bump at a different time. Good thing those wheels have independent suspension!

I bet there's lots of other things I forgot to tell you, but that's what I can remember right now. I should have a microrecorder and talk all day, then I'd remember everything. Mostly I remember we had a great time and even conquered the Road from Heck.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh! You have nasty roads. I'm not coming out there.

Even the unmarked rural farm roads are smooth in Wisconsin, well except for the cow chips. You must come here and leave the washboard roads behind

Brother Bear

Ray and Susan said...

Next year! The worst of it is the secondary roads out in the mountains. The rest of the roads are mostly ok. Well, except for I-5.