Wednesday, August 20, 2008

I miss my bike!

I am suprised by how much I miss my scooter. Looking at his empty parking spot in the garage aches like a missing tooth. Every time I go out to the garage, it feels vast and empty where Wrex should be and so, like when I lost a tooth when I was 7, I go probe the spot. I stand there, I walk around in Wrex's space, I picture him home again. I commiserate with Ray's lonely Silver, out there all alone. Poke, poke, poke at the sore spot. By this time, I can feel him missing out there. I don't even have to go into the garage....I feel his absence.

It will be sometime next week before I get him back and it feels like a long, long time. The weather hasn't been the best in the last few days, and some of those days I would not have ridden anyway, but still. I miss my bike. It suprises me that in this short time I've bonded with Wrex so much. I hope the weather's good when he comes home.

Here's another thing I've been pondering. When we went on our training trips, we carried everything we might concieveably need on our bikes. We carried more than we needed and maybe more than we might ever need. Just about every emergency was covered, one way or another. We even carried our pillows with us. I'm attached to my pillow---most hotels have horrid pillows) Turns out my pillow makes a nice backrest when rolled up tightly in a stuff sack and strapped to my top pack.

But still, everything we thought we might find useful on a month's journey fit into 2 top cases and 4 sidebags, one glovebox and one tiny trunk. We did not come home and say, oh gee, we really wish we had brought "X".

When we travel in the mini-van, we can hardly fit in all the stuff that Ray deems prudent and necessary. Go off to spend a week in a fully furnished cabin in Oregon and there's barely room for the poor dog in the van! You should have seen the van the time we hauled the dog, the sons, the Christmas presents and all the prudent and necessary that Ray could squeeze in. We were a van full of sardines and still some stuff had to be left behind that Ray would otherwise have hauled along.

Now, how can it be that we can travel with both so little and so much?

I think about that as I sit here missing my bike.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh gee, thanks for the new page look! It's so much easier to read.

Thanks,for sharing. I miss my bike too, only mine *is* in the garage at home. Work, it's a four letter word.

Ray and Susan said...

At least you can go out to the garage and look at your Valkyrie when you get home! You're one up on me there.

Yes, I thought the old one was getting hard to read too. I think it was the contrast.

Work is the worst of the 4-letter words....