....of people to make a world, I guess.
Today on the way to the Family History Center to work my shift, I saw an old truck that stalled exactly when the light turned green. He was obviously trying to get the rust bucket started again, you could hear the engine grinding. The person behind him in a mini-van was apparently in a huuuuge important urgent hurry, as she immediately began to honk her horn. Beep. No moving on the part of the truck. Beep beep beep. Still no movement.
BeepBeepBeepBeepBeepBeepBeepBeeeeeeeeeeeeep! Poor guy in the truck was trying so hard and this woman on his bumper was not giving him any credit for trying. She seemed to think he'd purposely stopped his truck there at the light and was stalled there soley to keep her stopped all through the green. Tsk. Soccer Mom road rage. I drove on contemplating society's general impatience and frequent lack of understanding for our fellow man and promising to be more patient, especially on the road.
Then a couple of blocks later what do I see? A father on a Silver Wing is taking his daughter to school. He was wearing full gear and Glory Be! The daughter, who looked to be about 8 or 9, was also wearing full gear! She had on her helmet, gloves, not sneakers or flip flops and a riding suit in miniature size. Protected from head to toe. It looked like a little version of an AeroStitch suit.
So different from our neighbors, who also have a Siver Wing. He rides wearing a helmet only (it's the law here) and his kids ride behind him also wearing only a helmet. They all ride in shorts and flip flops and sleeveless shirts. It gives me the creeps every time I see him toting his kids around "naked" like that. Even if he does not care for his own skin and bones, he should care a bit more for his kids' skin and bones.
I know that wearing gear is a choice and I know we don't all make the same choices. but if the first dad should have an accident, his precious daughter stands a better chance of surviving without serious injury than my neighbor's kids do. Aren't parents supposed to teach their kids the safest/best ways to do things?
On the Wrex front, it seems he'll be in the hospital for a couple weeks. Thankfully, the part to fix his front brake will only cost 40 bucks. The bad news is the part won't be here til next week sometime and next week Jason is going on vacation. The nerve! My Wrex is sick and his doctor is going on vacation! Oops! I already forgot to be more patient.
11 comments:
First, if you can't drive with the flow of traffic, stop, start, and turn like regular people, DON'T DRIVE!
Second, likewise, if your vehicle can't operate in the normal fashion, GET IT OFF THE ROAD!
Third, wearing helmets and gear should be a choice only if you have reached the age of majority. Once you are able to make a choice I think all the gear, all the time is the right choice, but I understand the absolute freedom one feels without it.
Forth, you can always switch doctors if the one you have doesn't meet your needs in your time frame. :-)
Brother Bear
Hi to Ray & Susan and Brother Bear - took me awhile to catch up but have really enjoyed all the posts! Hugs to SBN also!!
No, Suzy-Q, do NOT wax SBR (LOL!)...
Don't forget, Maryland has way cool roads for riding!
I agree with you, Susan - patience and full gear should always be partners of anyone on the road. Brother Bear, do I sense just a li'l road rage??? After all, not everyone can drive a Mercedes, Lexus or Harley... hahaha
Seems to me that neither of the SilverWing riders are too concerned about safety. If the first guy was wouldn't he insist his daughter wear a Volvo instead of AeroStitch?
It's all just a matter of degree. For instance, if I call correctly, you don't wear a full-face helmet. Does that even count as ATGATT? :)
Winona, I am more a disgruntled driver/rider than I am enraged. I'm fed up with distracted drives, mostly cell phone users and parents of small children, and inexperienced drivers, mostly folks from countries where they did not grow-up driving, or impaired drives, mostly impaired by age or general witlessness. really don't care what mark a person drives or how humble it is as long as it runs, turns and more importantly, stops properly.
TJ, most revered KneeDragger,
Big Pink pays lip service to ATGATT. She does not wear a full-face helmet and thinks that if she wears layers of bright pink in every imaginable location that she is wearing ATGATT. Not so, as you have pointed out.
Brother Bear
Smart Alecs, I do wear a 3/4 helmet with an approved face shield. Yes, it leaves my chins vulnerable to damage, but it's vastly better than having me freak out on the road because I've got all claustrophobic in my full-face helmet. But yes, i think it qualifies as ATGATT.
TJ, this is obviously a responsible Green Northwest Citizen and you should give him a break. Trying to save gas and ease the burden on the environment, he was ferrying his beloved offspring to school by scooter. Why she wasn't on the school bus with the rest of the little hooligans is something I'd like to know. Oh, yes. School hasn't started yet! Well, wherever they were headed, she was protected on that scooter more than my neighbor kids on theirs.
Brother Bear, you never had a car stall without warning and not restart? I have and on Aurora at 88th during rush hour. It is not any fun at all. Neither was it my fault. I think Winona is right there is a definite element of road rage here.
And I do NOT wear pink on every imaginable surface. Sometimes I don't wear pink at all.
Helmet with eye protection+armored jacket+motorcycle boots+motorcycle gloves+heavy jeans=ATGATT.
And I don't remember claiming that I ride ATGATT or that everyone should, although I believe I do. If i could find a pair of armoured pants that fit my short, fat body for less than a fortune, I'd wear them every time.
I did say that I think kids should be as ATGATT as possible.
Wait! Winona, you read ALL the posts? Wow, dedication over and above! Thanks, Girlfriend!
Yes, I've become very dedicated in my old age...
I do understand, and share, most of your frustration, Bro. Bear - driver cell phone abuse does not a civil society make.
And TJ is right about full face helmets - pink or not - they can keep that jaw from shattering, Dear Susan!!
(And you KNOW we gotta' talk!)
Very dedicated indeed, Winona!
Don't your states have laws about driving while on cell phones?? Backwards people!
But I can't breathe in those full-face things. I bet I can learn to talk through a wired jaw...
Guess it’s time for this heavyweight to weigh in on the helmets. I have gone to a modular helmet so if I am stuck in traffic sitting still I can flip it up (this takes both hands) and when traffic moves I flip it down. Having to ware eye protection all the time (OSHA approved and supplied by USPS(your tax dollars at work) and a wind shield on the Kaw I will ride with the visor up a good part of the time but not when I am behind a vehicle that may have a trail of debris.
Winona, Thank you for your support. Some people won't listen.......
1600 kaw, you are treading in dangerous territory. Some people....
Brother Bear
Hey, Dan! Welcome to the blog! I just found your post...Doh! Yer Brudda been thinking about a modular....
Post a Comment