We learned that when the bodies need rain gear, so do the luggages. Doh! Newbies! We also learned that pouring rain is probably not the best time to figure out how the rain covers go on everything and where on earth you put everything's raincovers.
Actually, it didn't rain until after lunch. We had said lunch at Rain Country Restaurant in McCleary, Washington and I am sure that was tempting fate. While we were waiting for our food a man came to talk to us about my bike and it turned out that he's a member of Ray's MotoGuzzi group, an older man named Sasquatch Jim. He was an interesting fellow!
It was cold the entire trip and we ended the day wearing all the warm stuff we had...I was wearing 2 long sleeved shirts, a windbreaker, my jacket, tights, jeans and my Frogg Toggs. Ray had on a long sleeved shirt, his jacket, his Flex Pants, and his Frogg Toggs. We did get a chance to try out the visor wipers I bought and they work well. You slide them on over thumb or forefinger and they have an edge that looks like a little windshield wiper. The Frogg Toggs really made the difference for both of us. Those light weight papery things keep you warm. They fill up with air and I don't know how cold air can keep you warm, but when it fills up your Froggs, it does. Of course, we looked like the Michelin Doughman and Woman, but when you're warm, who cares. The Froggs also have a hood that goes under your helmet, so no more cold drips down your neck!
Everywhere we stopped, we got the usual: Can I talk to you about your bike? What on earth IS that? Do you mind if I take some pictures? One of the ferry workers talked to us about the bike the entire crossing.
We met 4 Harley riders sheltering at the Dairy Queen in Raymond. They were from Yakima and hoping that up the road was drier than down the road where they had been. Alas! Not to be as we'd gotten a good wetting down on that road.

As usual for Western WA, the scenery was spectacular, but we didn't take any pics all day. We do have some of the Astoria Bridge, which we took just for Kim. The view is from the balcony of our hotel room. But I don't think this would make a good bridge to live under....too wet. We wished for helmet cams a few times, the views were outstanding.
I have discovered the rhythm of the road and I like it. When we stop, it takes me a while to find the rhythm again, but I do find it. Finally I understand look through the curve. It was not until I got out on the highways that it clicked and I could see how it helped. I love completing a curve in perfect form, it just feels so good when that happens! I love the ballet of the bikes, the lines into and out of the curves one after the other, the pas de deux. That's the best part of following. Ray doesn't get to see that out in front.
It was interesting watching the raindrops scamper up the windshield, but guess where they go when the get to the top...yep, right in my face. I began to see the real value of a full face helmet today. Rain hurts at 60 mph and it's not fun to have a wet, cold chin.
Tomorrow we go 275 miles to get to Bend. That's going to be a long day. We may stop at Herb's Burgers and Beer for breakfast. They have great bisquits and gravy. It's going to be 43 degrees in the morning. How I wish I had not brought my mesh jacket!
1 comment:
The Astoria bridge is nice indeed but a bit too airy for my needs.
Yes luggage has rain covers for a good reason and you figured out what it was despite their name, "Rain Cover". Doh, indeed.
Brother Bear
Post a Comment