....And loves it! Yes, it turns out that Wrex and I were made for 70 mph interstate sweepers. And semi racing. I discovered that there is a kind of trucker that absolutely will NOT be passed by a fat old lady on a 250cc scooter and will go any speed necessary to prevent such passage. No fair!
But I did pass my share of semis and exulted each time. I doubt the truckers had any idea how much it made my day to pass them by on my little mosquito rocket.
I dreaded riding the interstates home yesterday, but much to my great amazement (and Ray's outright astonishment), I loved the rural and mountainous interstates. More love is reserved for the mountain interstate. What a hoot! I was so pumped from zipping up and down the mountain (well, ok, most of the zipping occurred on the downside and most of the chugging on the upside) that I even survived Issaquah-Seattle. Those who don't live around here don't know how righteously awful Puget Sound traffic can be, but it's second only to Los Angeles.
Ray followed me all day and hung so far back he was on the edge of communication device contact....about 1/4 mile. He said it was in case I did something (the stupid part of that statement was only implied) and he needed to evade. I was highly insulted, but as I think about it, I think he hung back so that he could catch up and zoom his bike. His license plate frame does say "Cogito Ergo Zoom."
We made more miles faster than any other day, but the road allowed for 60-70 mph and not 20 mph twisties and we got home about 3:30. We felt pretty good when we got home, but by 8 we were pretty worn out. Ray unpacked his m/c bags and packed up a suitcase for this week's trip to Baltimore.
We had the usual people gather around Wrex every time we stopped. We're almost used to it now. A family in a black Accura sedan took cell-phone pictures of Wrex and I on the road and when I waved back at their little boy, they were so excited. Takes all kinds and if I made them happy, then I'm happy.
All in all, it was a great weekend. Well, except for that Road from Heck that I didn't like. Ray would do that one again, but I think I'll wait a couple of years before I tackle Heck once more. We went just over a 1000 miles in the 4 days. I have learned so much on these trips! We did discover that while a loaded down Wrex can make 70 mph on the interstate on the flats and the small hills, he guzzles gas something awful when he's asked to run at full throttle all day. He also has an altitude problem, which Jason says is not fixable because it's a closed circit fuel injection system and uses outside air, which at altitude is thin enough to make a difference.
The data is in the Zumo. I hope we can post some of that when Ray comes back. We hit some pretty good summits. I got the pics on my 'puter, but can't figure out how to process them into posting size. When Ray gets home...there aren't very many for this day as there are not many places to stop and take pics on the interstate.
Got something wrong with front brake, the braking is not what it should be and two lights are out on my brake light array, so Wrex will have to visit Jason at the shop for examination and rehab. Poor Wrex!
Silver seems to have loved the trip and no matter how high or where we were, he always had plenty of power. Silver is a strong machine. Morphous Wrex was not built to be an interstate bike. Hmm. I need a 650 cc Bergman trike! yeah....
9 comments:
Well now, how interesting that you enjoyed the interstates. Now you can plan a different trip. One that uses the best of both kinds of highways.
A 650cc Burgman is much more what you need for the Big Trip. Buy it now!!!
Brother Bear
But we also like the secondary roads and I don't have a Burgman. Probably never will, given the cost of those things. Besides, Wrex isn't worn out yet.
I loved the mountain parts of the interstate, all those sweepers. The Interstate through southern Idaho is supposed to be one of the best motorcycling interstates.
Welcome back. Glad you had a good time. Still think you're crazy if you plan to ride to Chicago and back. ... I'm also a little jealous that I don't have the vacation time to take a similar trip.
Ah, TJ, all you have to do is work for the govmint for 30 years and work a year's worth of overtime for comp time and you can have a month off too! Poor Ray has worked hard for his month off.
We had a great time, but are reconsidering making the trip to Chicago this year. It's so expensive and we can see we're a tad out of shape.
Other than we're broke near-senior citizens, what's crazy about it?
See, I am getting the hang of this.
While not speaking for the skillful and much revered TJ Kneedragger, I too am yearning to make such a trip, and I know what you mean about being out of shape to make a journey of such magnitude. As for you being crazy, yes, you are. But not necessarily for planning or wanting to take the Grand Tour.
I am delighted that you both enjoy riding and I hope your enthusiasm continues for many many years. I encourage you to ride your mounts like you stole them and then buy new ones and do the same.
I will say this about the Grand Tour, the best part of your trip is right where you are. Once you get past Rushmore the roads are for the most part arrow straight and flat. The only good motorcycle roads around here are half a state away in Wisconsin or all the way across the state at the Mississippi. Enjoy riding where you are, you'll have way more fun.
I would love to see you both and ride with you, so please come, but perhaps you should consider a different conveyance. Illinois roads suck.
Brother Bear
I can see that I've forgotten to tell you about the Corduroy roads they build in Oregon. All over the state, they put down logs just under the tarmac. And I thought Washington's washboard roads were bad!
And then I skipped over part on I-90 where I had to warn Ray that there were potholes all over the lane! No safe place for 2 wheels, unless said 2 wheels do quick swerves at 70 mph in a skillful manner. I think we'll leave that part to TJ KneeDragger.
Oh, I forgot to say, if we have the best riding right here, then you all should come out here with your bikes and we can ride the good roads.
We can all stay at a 1000 Trails somewhere and do day rides into the mountains. Or move from 1 Thousand Trails to another and do day rides all up and down the coast. If Terri doesn't want to ride all day, Terri can drive our van and haul all her stuff.
Best Roads may have been an over statement in light of your previous comments on road quality, so let me restate. You have the best scenery right where you are. The best roads are still in Wisconsin.
As for everybody coming out there to ride, I think that is a wonderful idea. When, however, becomes the problem. So as long as you have the time, why don't you trailer to Marcia's? We can meet you there and we can all ride the Great River Road.
Brother Bear
Well, we don't really have the time. If we're going to do the trip next year, we have to hold on to the leave Ray's saved up. He's now thinking we should perhaps make the trip 5 weeks long and take more time to sightsee.
We do absolutely have the best scenery. Mostly the roads are ok, but the entire infrastructure of this country has been allowed to fall apart over the last 20 years or so. Probably ours aren't much worse than anyone else's.
Post a Comment