I suppose I could whine some more about how much I miss my scooter, but you've heard all that before and it won't make The Scooter Doctor work any faster.
So maybe I'll just mention that the US coverage of the Olympics was pretty dire. Were the only events in the Olympics the really interminable, unending women's beach vollyball matches, gymnastics and Michael Phelps? Were all the sappy, supposedly heartrending "biographical" stories about American athletes really necessary? Does anyone other than Ke-double ell-o-double good good and Michael Phelps care if he signs up to promote Frosted Flakes? Does anyone else remember that spelling of Kellogg? And why do male beach volleyball teams wear real clothes and the women all wear itsy bitsy teensy weensy bikinis? Did the NBC announcers drive anyone else crazy round the bend with their inane commentary and useless remarks? "Oh, THAT's gonna cost her a medal!" as some impossibly tiny gymnastic sprite (apparently successfully) completes some physically impossible move and does that wierd thing with her pelvis at the end of her routine. Well, exactly why did that apparently perfect routine cost her a medal? I don't think they know, they are just flappin' lips.
And speaking of flappin' lips, it's time for the Political Conventions. Major lip flap hurricane force wind ensues, followed by a high pressure zone full of lying attack ads and exceedingly empty promises. We still have months to go and I'm already sick of it all. At this point I think they all reek worse than Limburger. I begin to wish for a limit on campaigning. Let's have campaigning start in June, a national primary in September and the elections in November. Why, oh why do we have to drag it out for years and why are we supposed to accept a formerly despised and zealously attacked, thoroughly pummelled and trounced former opponent as the perfect choice for running mate? And why oh why are male politicians apparently genetically unable to keep wedding vows intact and zippers up? Mothers, don't let your sons become politicos! Let 'em be cowboys, but not in the government, out there with the dogies where they belong.
And then there is Washington weather, which has been totally un-Washington this year. Heavy rains in August? Never happens. Trees blown down in August? Never happens. Until this year. All the political wind is blowing ill here in WA. ("Just say WA", our state tourism slogan. Very expensively produced by some overpaid consultants and very short lived.) It's either politics or global warming or perhaps both. Remains to be seen.
6 comments:
Oh PU4, some of us are such junkies that we race home from work to watch the conventions. From the Olympics to the conventions...it doesn't get much better than that!
O, I've paid attention to the Conventions too as I'm a lesser degree political junkie, but I'm still sick of them all. I'm tired of the twisting of statements, the taking out of context, the smearing and the outright lying.
hehe, this was an awesome post. i so totally agree with you here :)
Yep, I'm so tired of hearing about all the things the other guy has done/will do wrong. I want to know what you are going to do right and how exactly are you going to do it. So far, none of that, only bash, bash, bash. Perhaps they will get down to issues and real plans later? HA Fat chance.
Unfortunately, being a political junkie too, there is too much junk sometimes. But at least the R convention will be shortened by their hysterical over-reaction to Gustav. I guess this makes up for their lethargic under-reaction to Katrina and one could combine them and get a pretty good response.
It did turn out to be a mite much of a reaction, I guess. I do see why they had such a reaction. They could not be seen to be partying whilst Nawlins drowned once again. I know I surely did not want to see those types of pictures on tv again!
They should have done this type of thing with Katrina. I am glad the planners learned a lesson. I think the people of New Orleans, the few who still live there, all barely escaped serious, serious damage from this hurricane.
I think this time around they have a better governor in place, lucky people. But the best break of all was the route the hurricane has taken and the fact that it came ashore a weak Category 3.
Bet the R's ramp it all up again today!
Post a Comment